AccessVegas.com Insider Vibe
Serving Las Vegas Visitors and Residents Since 1999
Welcome to the Insider Vibe! This is the official newsletter of AccessVegas.Com. We talk about the Las Vegas activities you really care about.
Need to contact us? Send feedback to
Missed an issue? Click to Read Back Issues Online.
AccessVegas.com Quick Info Menu:
Las Vegas Essentials
Las Vegas Events
Las Vegas Shows, Headliners, And Concerts
- Blue Man Group Hosted Boise State And WashingtonÆs Football Teams Prior To Las Vegas Bowl
- How A Rock Of Ages Lead Rocks (and Relaxes) Vegas
- Gymnast upside down in ‘Mystere’s’ Chinese pole act
- Downtown And Want To See A Show? See Gordie Brown
- Shania Twain Joins Frank MarinoÆs Divas Line Up At The Quad
- The Mac King Comedy Magic Show – Mad About Plaid
- CeeLo Green Going All in With That Liberace, Err, Loberace Thing (with video)
- Phat Pack cabaret revue brings back fond memories
- Film offers close-up look at Cirque du Soleil’s Las Vegas titles
December In Las Vegas
- Christmas holiday generates millions of dollars for Las Vegas (with video)
- Doomsday supplies in demand at Zombie Apocalypse Store (with video)
- Vegas hosts doomsday parties and weddings (with video)
- Plans announced for New Year’s Eve in Las Vegas (with video)
- Plenty of Las Vegas glitter, but where’s the holly?
- Dazzling fireworks planned for New Year’s Eve
- Adding a Little Death (Valley) to Doomsday
- A look at New YearÆs Eve in Las Vegas
Restaurants And Dining
Rice & Company Celebrates Chinese New Year With Year Of The Snake Menu – Rice & Company at Luxor Hotel and Casino will usher in the Year of the Snake with a prix-fixe menu and debut of the Great Wall roll available from Sunday, Feb. 10 to Sunday, Feb. 24.
As a way to celebrate a new year full of good fortune and prosperity, guests may savor a four-course meal, priced at $65 per person. The Chinese New Year menu begins with a choice of Pan Fried Pot Stickers, Vegetable Spring Rolls or the new Great Wall sushi roll made with squid, scallop, asparagus, king crab, halibut, flying fish roe with tempura crunch topped with sambal mayo and balsamic glaze. For the second course, patrons may choose between Egg Drop Soup or Mixed Greens Salad with ginger dressing.
- Full story/details/info: Rice & Company Celebrates Chinese New Year
Tender Steak & Seafood Las Vegas Introduces Winter Menu Selections And Prix Fixe Lamb Tasting – Tender Steak & Seafood at Luxor Hotel and Casino introduces new winter dishes available throughout the chilly season.
- Full story/details/info: Tender Introduces Winter Menu Selections
- Chef Sammy D brings boundless culinary energy to Rattlecan
- F· Chinese Restaurant presents an invigorating menu
- Fatburger’s Fat Bar
- Seafood Shack’s flavorful mussels, clams fresh-from-the-ocean sweet
- Station Casinos restaurants lowering prices
- SW Steakhouse Still One Of Our Faves
- Big ErnÆs Smokes Out the BBQ Faithful
- The Woo family continues building upon its well-deserved legacy with Fu at Hard Rock Hotel
- Review: Julian Serrano (Las Vegas û Aria)
- Dining With Monkeys and Movies
- Trevi Celebrates National Spaghetti Day With Italian Pasta Trio Special
Downtown / Fremont Street Experience
- The 2012 Nightclub Awards: Downtown Edition
- Golden GateÆs period cocktails transport you to a golden age
- Prohibition-Style Hootch Is The Bee’s Knees In Vegas
- Hsieh makes $45 million in property deals downtown
- Prostitutes, anthrax and ærealÆ bars: 12 years of Downtown living
Las Vegas Economy And Real Estate
- Brothel owner has his own ideas about economic stimulation
- Las Vegas poised for steady, sustainable growth
- The valleyÆs top business stories of 2012
Gaming and Gambling
- The Psychic Side of Slots
- At Aria, you can play two games of poker simultaneously, but do you want to?
- Side bets: cheap at the price or expensive in the end?
Getting To Las Vegas
- X Train aims to make a party of the Southern California-Las Vegas trip
- Megabus takes ride to L.A. to a ‘higher level’
- In-flight cocktailing gets trendyùand not just with Vegas-bound passengers
Las Vegas Attractions
- Crystals At CityCenter Showcases Van Cleef & ArpelsÆ ôThe Poetry Of Timeö Exhibit Dec. 28 û Jan. 6
- Nevada’s hot springs inviting, but exercise caution
More Las Vegas News
- Mountains, Desert And Guns
- Blackjack dealer stabbed by co-worker at Bellagio
- Vegas gun store: æLine is out our doorÆ
- Beauty team delivers room service
Maverick Grand Canyon Landing Tour û You will start your experience with a breathtaking flight over Hoover Dam, Lake Mead and Fortification Hill, an extinct volcano, as well as many other awe-inspiring views. After descending 3,500 feet inside the Grand Canyon on the Hualapai Indian Reservation, you will enjoy a light snack, a cool beverage and a champagne toast 300 feet above the Colorado River. Your journey will conclude with a flight through beautiful Black Canyon on your return to the South Las Vegas terminal. Operator Mustang Helicopters a division of the Maverick Aviation Group.
Newkirk’s Notes – comments on Las Vegas from AccessVegas.Com publisher Ted Newkirk:
Hello From Las Vegas – I see that many of our friends both in the U.S. and Canada had a white Christmas (and some of you are still getting hit with snow). Our temps barely snuck into the 60’s F on Christmas Eve, but we had plenty of wind. New Years Eve (which I’ll discuss momentarily) is shaping up to be a little colder than usual, but not as cold as it was two years ago when the temps were below freezing at midnight. That was downright insulting!
You’ve probably noticed that this issue isn’t as graphical as usual (when we include lots of pictures). It is more a collection of odds and ends as we finish out the year. Most of our great friends working public relations for all your favorite Las Vegas hotels, shows, restaurants, and activities — the ones who provide us with all the great pictures — are taking some well deserved time off…as I am. So this section and Members Mania will be much shorter than usual. Speaking of pics…
Photo Gallery – We’re getting ready to unveil a brand new Vegas photo gallery that will also let you upload photos you’ve taken on previous trips! Why upload with us?
- This way, all of our other readers can enjoy your photos as well. The problem with going to Flickr and trying to look for Vegas photos is that they are pretty disorganized. We won’t have that problem.
- We’re going to work out some regular prizes to give away for favorite photos. And if you aren’t Peter Lik (famous photographer and Las Vegas resident), upload anyway as we’ll be giving away random prizes as well. Just for taking part, so nobody feels left out!
New Years Eve – We used to put a lot more time and effort into telling you all about our world-famous New Years Eve celebration and it continues to be better than ever. But… we found out that so very few of you come here for the event, that we really de-emphasized the amount of time we put into it. However… some basics:
- For Those Not Visiting: KLAS TV (8newsnow.com) has streamed their entire New Years Eve broadcast every year for a number of years, so I’m guessing they will be doing it again. They have cameras and crews up and down The Strip showing the revelers and parties and have amazing coverage of the midnight fireworks.
They generally start at 10 PM Pacific, but if the stream isn’t up yet, check back just after 11 PM our time. Also, remember the time difference! 10 PM Pacific will be 1 AM Eastern. Or put it this way: After you are done watching that boring ball drop, you can get online and watch what a real celebration looks like!
- For Those Coming: The fireworks will go off the tops of seven properties, stretching from the MGM to The Stratosphere. However, leave out The Strat. It isn’t synced with the other hotels and there is a significant gap between Treasure Island and Strat. (TI is otherwise the most northern hotel involved).
You don’t want to be dead center in The Strip. You won’t be able to move because of the crowds. Instead, you’ll want to get down between MGM and Aria. The crowds are not as bad, and it is easier to get to the porta-potties. Pay attention to where they are as hotels won’t be letting in anyone without a room key, and you’ll pee your pants trying to fight the crowds once you get inside anyway.
You’ll also be able to see straight up The Strip and have a nice view of distant fireworks going off at Caesars and Venetian.
Dress very warm. You are going to be outside for 2, 3, or even four hours depending how long you want to be able to walk up and down the middle of The Strip (free of traffic, which is always an amazing experience). Don’t wait until 30 minutes until midnight to rush out of your hotel. That’s what everybody else does and you’ll be stuck in the crowds.
Happy New Year and Best In 2013!
Associate Editor / News Researcher: Rick Ziegler
Concerts and Headliners: Amy Rayner-Cooley
What We’re Watching – Vegas Videos You’ll Enjoy
- Coco Austin Guest Stars In Peepshow At Planet Hollywood Las Vegas – Nicole “Coco” Austin, wife of rapper Ice T and star of E!’s reality TV show, “Ice Loves Coco,” guest stars in the sexy Las Vegas show, Peepshow at Planet Hollywood.
- Downtown Grand Commissary Construction – The Commissary at the Downtown Grand (formerly Lady Luck) is under construction. It will open in the Fall of 2013 and will include four unique food concepts (and a nightclub). Take a tour with project founder Seth Schorr.
- Gordie Brown – See Golden Nugget headliner Gordie Brown run through many of his hysterical, dead-on impressions backed by a live band.
Members Mania – We Love Our Readers!
As the year ends, I wanted to post a sampling of the great thoughts and wishes that were sent our way. We appreciate it, they mean so much to us, and it is always exciting to think that we have so many amazing readers from around the globe!