AccessVegas.com Insider Vibe
Serving Las Vegas Visitors and Residents Since 1999
Welcome to the Insider Vibe! This is the official newsletter of AccessVegas.Com. We talk about the Las Vegas activities you really care about.
AccessVegas.com Quick Info Menu:
Las Vegas Essentials
Newkirk’s Notes – comments on Las Vegas from AccessVegas.Com publisher Ted Newkirk:
Hello From Las Vegas! – We have a HUGE anniversary issue for you. Completely packed with great Las Vegas information. I’ve often joked that “Time flies when you don’t know what you are doing” but the reality is that 13 years ago I was contributing to alt.vacation.las-vegas (a newsgroup, which essentially was an internet bulletin board way before the dawn of web forums) with regular Las Vegas info and updates.
Despite the fact that a good many people really appreciated my posts, a couple of the regular posters didn’t seem to like the fact that Iáwas having more fun then they were and started to take pot-shots at me. So, I took my ball and went home (so to speak). I said “I’m going to start an email newsletter” that would not only be sent out, but also posted online (blogging way before blogs existed) and said that if anyone wanted to subscribe, send me your email address. Slightly over 400 people did, and away we went (link to first ever issue).
I’m obviously not a professional writer, we’ve never been the most fancy, and some of the internet code we use is still circa the late 90’s (we have HTML code on AccessVegas.com dating back to 1996). But I once read “If you can’t do it right, do it anyway” and we’re still here doing what we do. My 19 year (since I first moved here) romance with the city is still going strong. Our enthusiasm is 100% real and while I’ve noted countless times how I (nearly) live in the shadow of The Strip, that same energy that you enjoy when you visit permeates me 24/7. Thanks for taking the ride along with us!
Bellagio Robbed Again – While the motorcycle bandit who held up The Bellagio for gaming chips in December 2010 enjoys all the amenities of (forced) government housing for the next nine years, you think everyone would have learned. Evidently not. A couple of guys pepper-sprayed a high limit blackjack table at the resort and grabbed $115,000 in $5,000 gaming chips. One got away (and later caught), the other was tackled and detained. Full details at Man arrested in casino chip heist at Bellagio and Botched Bellagio casino robbery leads to California man’s arrest
Revving Up The Riv – Our friends at ViceLoungeOnline.com (and probably many others of you) may have been concerned about the long-term health of The Riviera. It and Circus Circus are currently pretty lonely in the North Strip and that situation doesn’t look to be changing for a long time. Even so, the owners are prepping to put $20-$30 million into the property, further sprucing it up (the rooms were remodeled in 2008 and various gaming floor renovations were done last year).
They’ve moved the check-in desk back by the convention area and plan to really get serious about marketing their convention space (which has been underutilized forever). This amount is more than The D (formerly Fitzgerald’s downtown) is spending for their top-to-bottom renovations (including all the rooms), so we’re expecting The Riv to be in for some pretty nice changes.
The Riviera is one place we seem to always get positive feedback about, so no question they are developing a loyal clientele. Las Vegas is setting records for number of visitors this year, and those people have to stay somewhere. We wish them the best and will report on the completed improvements down the road.
Waynester Update – No sooner had we pressed the “send” button for last weeks newsletter — the one noting that we had absolutely no new information on Wayne Newton and the plan to turn his ranch into a tourist attraction — when everything hit the fan. (Because of current server limitations, our newsletter alerts take about two days to reach everyone on our list. Hence, some of you read the newsletter after reading the breaking news stories online. This is something we’ll be rectifying when we go to a paid subscribership basis and can afford the additional resources).
In a nutshell, the group that purchased the rights to turn his home and land into a museum have sued Newton for delaying the project, smeared him with allegations that he sexually harassed his female horse trainer, and that the estate had been left to go to shambles and the many animals very poorly cared for. Newton claims (through his counsel) that the allegations are lies and the lawsuit was preemptive of one Newton planned to file in response to the construction delays.
This doesn’t bode well for the completion of the project. As for the allegations, this isn’t exactly Newton’s first rodeo when it comes to lawsuits and legal problems. I’d wager he’ll make it through this relatively unscathed.
SkyVue Isn’t Backing Down – The showdown continues between the two “London Eye” type observation wheels, and neither part is blinking yet. Caesars (the company) has begun work on their Linq project which includes an observation wheel (called the High Roller), and is funded, but no work has started on the wheel yet. Across from Mandalay Bay, construction is actually moving along for SkyVue.
If you want more info:
- Vegas Observation Wheels: The Pod-Off (photos, project comparisons, discussion)
- SkyVue Official Page (with video)
- SkyVue Construction Webcam
- SkyVue Las Vegas Observation Wheel Completes First Phase Of Construction, Breaks Ground On Retail & Dining District
Enjoy This Issue!
Associate Editor / News Researcher: Rick Ziegler
Concerts and Headliners: Amy Rayner-Cooley
Skip the airport taxi hassles and arrive at your hotel in style:
Retired Ford Factory Worker Wins $1 Million In One Hand Playing Three Card Poker At Flamingo Las Vegas – Las Vegas experienced its second winner of the Caesars Entertainment exclusive $1 million Three Card Poker 6 Card BonusÖ table game on Friday, May 11. Dennis Hart, a retired Ford factory worker, won the $1 million grand prize off of one hand. Hart gave each of his three fellow players a $500 chip and generously tipped his dealer $20,000.
- Full story/details/info: Retired Ford Factory Worker Wins $1 Million
The 2012 Miss USA Competition Will Heat Up The Las Vegas Strip On June 3 Live On NBC From Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino – NBC, Donald J. Trump and Paula M. Shugart, president of the Miss Universe Organization, announced today that the ô2012 MISS USA« Competitionö will air LIVE on NBC Sunday, June 3 (9 p.m. ET) from Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas at the Theatre for the Performing Arts. Andy Cohen, host of BravoÆs ôWatch What Happens: Liveö and Giuliana Rancic, co-anchor of ôE! News,ö will host the competition.
- Full story/details/info: The 2012 Miss USA Competition Will Heat Up The Las Vegas Strip
- Buy Tickets Now: 2012 Miss USA Pageant
The Smith Center For The Performing Arts Kicks Off 2012/2013 Broadway Las Vegas Season With Wicked – WICKED, with music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz (Godspell, Pippin, DisneyÆs Enchanted, Academy Award« winner for Pocahontas and The Prince of Egypt) and book by Winnie Holzman (ôMy So Called Life,ö ôOnce And Againö and ôthirtysomethingö), is based on the best-selling 1995 novel by Gregory Maguire. WICKED is set to make its Las Vegas debut on August 29.
Gordon Ramsay Steak Reveals Signature Menu Items At Paris Las Vegas Restaurant – The wait is over as Gordon Ramsay Steak gives eager guests a peek of what delights await with three photos of signature dishes from the celebrated chefÆs highly anticipated dinner menu. Gordon Ramsay Steak opened on Friday, May 11 inside Paris Las Vegas.
Acclaimed chef and TV personality Gordon Ramsay brings his flair for exciting cuisine to Paris Las Vegas in one of the most anticipated restaurant openings of 2012. Gordon Ramsay Steak is a high-energy restaurant which playfully transports guests from the Paris resort to the London atmosphere via a unique Euro-tunnel-like entryway.
- Full story/details/info: Gordon Ramsay Steak Reveals Signature Menu Items
The first menu change since its grand opening in 2009, the new selections include an array of classic and contemporary Italian selections crafted by Executive Chef Peter Scaturro. An array of delectable new desserts have also been developed by Sous and Pastry Chef Hank Sbraccia, accompanying his celebrated fresh gelato made daily at the popular dining spot.
Scaturro, a talented chef who learned to prepare Italian dishes through his upbringing and training in New York City, showcases an array of new house specialties on the new menu. Scaturro will continue to update the menu every spring and fall to highlight the freshest ingredients and to offer lighter or heartier dishes in keeping with seasons. In addition to serving up classic Italian cuisine, Scaturro also believes in the quality of service and guestsÆ experiences at the restaurant.
- Full story/details/info: Trevi Introduces New Menu And Happy Hour Specials
Tender Steak & Seafood Introduces New Selections – Chef K.C. Fazel Refreshes Menu For The Season – Spring is in the air and K.C. Fazel, Executive Chef of the elegant TENDER Steak & Seafood at Luxor Hotel and Casino, has infused the restaurantÆs menu with the freshest ingredients and flavors of the season to offer guests an unparalleled dining experience.
Fazel has enhanced each selection by introducing a host of new offerings, creating dishes that are made from the purest sources available. ôAny recipe is only as good as the ingredients, and the most important part of my job is to find the best ingredients available,ö said Fazel.
- Full story/details/info: Tender Steak & Seafood Introduces New Selections
The Chocolate Lounge & Wine Bar Inside Sugar Factory American Brasserie Introduces Wine And Chocolate Pairings – The Chocolate Lounge & Wine Bar inside Sugar Factory American Brasserie at Paris Las Vegas will now offer wines from around the world, along with their decadent chocolate-focused menu, beginning on Friday, June 1. The lounge will also feature an expertly-trained sommelier to assist patrons with their wine and chocolate pairing selections.
The new wines and chocolates will be available in five different paring options. The parings range from ôA Taste,ö featuring one pour of a guestÆs choice with one signature chocolate selection, priced at $8, to the ôGrand Tour,ö showcasing all six featured wine pours paired with six signature chocolate selections.
- Full story/details/info: The Chocolate Lounge & Wine Bar Introduces Wine And Chocolate Pairings
Iconic Exterior Signs Removed From OÆSheas Casino – Iconic exterior branded signs from the recently-closed O’Sheas Casino were removed from the property’s exterior earlier this morning. The branded signs will take residency in the new O’Sheas Casino in its location inside The LINQ, a $550 million dollar entertainment, retail and dining corridor set to open in 2013, while others will be donated for display at The Neon Museum. Photo Credit: Cashman Photo
- Full story/details/info: Iconic Exterior Signs Removed From OÆSheas Casino
Qua Baths & Spa At Caesars Palace Named In Top 100 Resort Spas By Conde Nast Traveler – CondÚ Nast Traveler, the renowned luxury travel publication, recently released its 2012 annual readersÆ poll results where Qua Baths & Spa at Caesars Palace was recognized as one of the ôTop 100 Resort Spasö in the U.S. Mainland category.
The Roman-inspired spa is one of two Las Vegas spas on the Strip to be highlighted in the ôTop 100 Resort Spasö category. Results from the magazineÆs 22nd annual readersÆ poll ranked Qua Baths & Spa 52nd, up one spot from last year, with an overall score of 92.2 out of 100.
- Full story/details/info: Qua Baths & Spa At Caesars Palace Named In Top 100
Venetian And Palazzo Kick Off Carnevale With Mese Di Arte – The Venetian and The Palazzo Las Vegas will kick off the quintessential summer festival, Carnevale, with Mese di Arte (Art Month) from June 4 through June 30. Throughout the month, the resorts will be transformed into an art gallery with unbelievable 3D chalk artists, glassblowers, potters, living art installations and an interactive Art Walk. All demonstrations will take place in The Palazzo Waterfall Atrium & Gardens daily from 1-6 p.m. and select art work will be available for purchase to take the magic of Carnevale home.
- Full story/details/info: Venetian And Palazzo Kick Off Carnevale With Mese Di Arte
PBR Rock Bar & Grill Is Las VegasÆ One Stop Spot For Everything NBA Finals With Drink Specials – PBR Rock Bar & Grill inside Miracle Mile Shops at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino will host NBA Finals parties for every fanatic from the East to West coast complete with incredible drink specials.
From June 12 through 26, PBR Rock Bar & Grill will show every NBA Final game on their 105 flat-screen TVs throughout the interior and exterior. In addition to PBR Rock BarÆs weekly drink specials, any patron that wears their teamÆs jersey during game time can enjoy $3 wells and drafts.
- Full story/details/info: PBR Rock Bar & Grill Is Las VegasÆ One Stop Spot For Everything NBA
Miracle Mile Shops Ushers In Multiple, New And Remodeled Tenants – Popcorn lovers will delight when Chicago gourmet popcorn legend Garrett Popcorn opens its first Las Vegas location at Miracle Mile Shops this September. Now open, Jamba by Jamba Juice offers better-for-you, specialty beverage and food offerings such as whole fruit smoothies, sandwiches, fresh squeezed juices and juice blends, hot coffee and teas and more. Blow-dry bar Dollheads opens this June featuring a salon for blowouts and extensions. In November, GRATiAE brings its line of unique and organic skin care products to Miracle Mile Shops.
- Full story/details/info: Miracle Mile Shops Ushers In Multiple, New And Remodeled Tenants
Maverick Grand Canyon Western Territory Tour By Plane û Experience the thrill of the Grand Canyon, one of the seven natural wonders of the world, on a flight with Maverick Airlines. Fly in Maverick style on a Beechcraft 1900D aircraft to Grand Canyon West as you enjoy spectacular views along Eagle Point. At the Indian Village you will receive a brief introduction to the Hualapai Indian legends and culture, and then proceed to Guano Point, where you’ll observe a breathtaking view of the canyon.
Crazy Horse Paris by Guy Chapman
Entertaining And Sensual, Crazy Horse Paris Is One Of A Kind – While there are a number of shows found on the Strip that focus on the naked body, thereÆs only one that can bring the sexiness and beauty of French burlesque to the stage. That show is the ôCrazy Horse Parisö, found at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, and one it starts, your attention will be held for the next ninety minutes.
Direct from its French homeland, this cabaret show wastes no time beginning its first number, which makes an impressive and surprising use of what initially seems to be a small stage. The stage itself is a collection of moving floors and rotating platforms, which immediately leads into a cinematic ôbehind the scenesö credits sequence.
Brad Garrett’s Comedy Club by Terri DÆRichards
Brad Garrett’s Comedy Club – Modern Comedy With An Homage To The Past – ôWhen I had the opportunity to build the ultimate comedy club at MGM Grand, I wanted a venue that captured the ambiance and style of the 1940s in New York,ö proclaims veteran television and film star Brad Garrett. ôThose were times when renovated warehouses were turned into speakeasies and small theaters, creating an intimate atmosphere with great entertainment.ö GarrettÆs new venue at MGM Grand delivers on point in fulfilling itÆs namesakeÆs goal of replicating famous New York night spots like The Copacabana, The Stork Club and JillyÆs — all well-known for their top-notch entertainment and unparalleled customer service.
- Read Entire Brad Garrett’s Comedy Club Review
- Brad Garrett’s Comedy Club Las Vegas tickets, video, and info
What We’re Watching – Vegas Videos You’ll Enjoy
- Pinball Hall of Fame – Where else besides Las Vegas would you expect to find something as unique as the Pinball Hall of Fame? Yep, you heard us right, the Pinball Hall of Fame is a giant room filled with pinball and arcade game dating back all the way to the 1930Æs just waiting for you to come out and play them.
- Las Vegas’ Drunken Desserts – Drinking at a bar or club in Las Vegas is so old school – at least that’s what two companies hope will be the latest Sin City trend. SnoBar and Sin City Cupcakes are serving up sweets that pack a serious punch. Read more…
- I-15 Mountain Pass, CA And The Mojave Desert National Preserve– Although only accounting for 10% of our readership, Southern California accounts for around 50% of all Las Vegas visitors. The majority of them making the 5-8 hour trip (depending on traffic) by car. This time-lapse video starts at the CA/NV boarder and takes you south through a “high desert” portion of the trip.Next time you fly in and have to deal with the TSA and cramped planes and crazy airline fees, watch this video and be glad that you aren’t making this drive home all sunburned and hung over on a busy Sunday when half of Southern California is trying to get back home.
- Chefs’ Gigantic Creations Push Las Vegas Diners To The Ultimate Challenge – There really isn’t a secret to eating an 8-pound hamburger. Really. You just take one bite after another until it’s gone. Mind over matter. This is the approach that Rich LeFevre, all 128 pounds of him, takes when presented with an 8-pound burger at The Pub in Monte Carlo recently. Read more…
Members Mania – We Love Our Readers!
Members Mania will return next issue. With so much Vegas news pouring in this week and the need to get this to everyone before Memorial Day weekend, we’re up against deadline.
We love to hear from you, and value your feedback! Here’s how to participate:
- Want to comment on a current reader post? Use the comment box on that particular web page. Many of the stories we post also have comment boxes at the end of the story. Make your voice heard!
- Drop us an email at AccessVegas@AccessVegas.com – We read them all!
- Call our recorded comment line at 702-507-0055. We listen to every call.
More Las Vegas News – Shows – Events
- Show & Tell: Meet Brianne Morgan of ‘Phantom’Book Phantom – The Las Vegas Spectacular Las Vegas Tickets Now
- Elton John in Las Vegas: madman who tossed the waterBook Elton John – Million Dollar Piano Las Vegas Tickets Now
- SinatraÆs exaggerated mob ties, JFKÆs unplanned campaign swing detailed in æ10 ThingsÆ Rat Pack episodeBook The Rat Pack Is Back Las Vegas Tickets Now
- Wondering if crowds will be up for ‘Surf the Musical – Music Of The Beach Boys’Book Surf The Musical – Music Of The Beach Boys Las Vegas Tickets Now
- Five Reasons To Visit Estiatorio Milos (with video)
- PBR Rock Bar Gets Into the Vegas Nightlife Game (with video)
- Why You Should Be Jealous Of NY For Stealing Absinthe’s New Show, Empire (with video)
- Exclusive photos: Bagatelle is bringing Mediterranean flair to the Tropicana (with video)
- Our Sweet, Smelly, Dirty Night in The Rio’s Masquerade Suite (with video)
- Cabo Wabo CantinaÆs Patio Will Be RockinÆ Memorial Day Weekend
- PBR Rock Bar Kicks Off Memorial Day Weekend With Locals Appreciation Day On Thursday, May 24
- Rhumbar Celebrates Memorial Day With Weekend-Long Party On The Patio
- Ranch House Kitchen Introduces Brunch And Bloody Mary Bar Every Saturday And Sunday
- Comme Ãa Debuts æGastropub MondaysÆ In Bar & Lounge – French Brasserie To Feature Posh Pub Favorites, Live Music On Monday Nights
- Late Night Meets Daylight At Hyde Bellagio Every Saturday With æSunrise SessionsÆ
- Grand Poker Series Returns To Golden Nugget For Fifth Consecutive Year
- PBR Rock Bar & Grill Shows Support For Military Members With Discounted Dining Offer
- British Airways Announce High Rolling Route from Gatwick to Vegas
- Uncork’d: Las Vegas’ Best Chefs Host Food Event Of The Year
- You Can Finally Score at Luxor Now
- Why You Should Give Pai Gow Poker A Try
- Turning Back the Clock: El Rancho Vegas
- Creators of æAbsintheÆ unleash æEmpireÆ at Caesars Palace
- Visitor volume continues steady climb, latest numbers show
- Sip & Sparkle By The Pool
- Las Vegas new-home permits surge in first quarter
- Las Vegas Monorail poised to emerge from bankruptcy
- National Atomic Testing Museum unveils Area 51 exhibit
- 2012 Vegas Uncork’d Grand Tasting Awards
- DonÆt Hate The Player, Hate the (Casinos PlayerÆs Club Card) Game
- Innovative touches make 35 Steaks + Martinis stand out from other steakhouses
- Foreclosure starts continue to fall in Nevada
- Harry Reid vs. Sheldon Adelson: Who holds the most power?
- Valley of Fire emerges as Southern NevadaÆs top tourist attraction in poll
- Ramsay expects perfection from himself, his staff, and his food
- Bagatelle is bringing Mediterranean flair to the Tropicana
- Chances open up for Las Vegas downtown living space
- Hawaii flights still domestic despite Terminal 3 use
- Quiet Black Canyon river trip awaits
- Sports arena proposal for Henderson advances
- Las Vegas wants some respect
- Arrival of shops, restaurants boost Arts District
- Nevadan at Work: Cirque du Soleil exec in charge of ‘making people happy’
- Chef peppers debut with salty language
- Tough-guy Las Vegas lawman perfect fit for television
- Holly Madison’s resume mushrooms
- Horticulture staff comes out at night to create a top Vegas photo op
- Las Vegas home prices rise with fewer homes for sale