Serving Las Vegas Visitors and Residents Since 1999
Welcome to the Insider Vibe! This is the official newsletter of AccessVegas.Com. We talk about the Las Vegas activities you really care about.
AccessVegas.com Quick Info Menu:
Las Vegas Essentials
Seasonal Vegas Information
Photos and Wallpaper
Newkirk’s Notes – comments on Las Vegas from AccessVegas.Com publisher Ted Newkirk:
Hello From Las Vegas! Sunny, sunny, unseasonably warm, upper 60’s F for the past week… you shouldn’t know that it was snowing somewhere. Every fall, I remind people to book a winter vacation here because about the time you are fed up with the cold, we’re breaking the bonds of our very short winter season. This fall when everyone is thinking “holidays” you need to be thinking “book late January trip to Las Vegas”.
Don’t take my word for it! Look at what Rhumbar (Mirage) looked like the past two NFL Playoff Sundays:
Live From Las Vegas – This past Wednesday night, we enjoyed a first-hand look at a live taping of Vegas Video Network’s Pub Crawl program. Hosted by David and Alicia Ivy, it is an excellent show, tons of fun, this week had great reports on Todd English P.U.B. (CityCenter), “Secret” pizza place at Cosmo, Joe’s Stone Crab and lots more.
Most fun if you watch weekly live at 8 PM Pacific on Wednesday nights: http://www.vegasvideonetwork.com/live (make sure to get into the chat, I often do) but fortunately the shows are also archivedáat http://www.vegasvideonetwork.com/our-shows… and also available via RSS and iTunes. Check it out!
Vega$ Available On DVD – Some of may remember the late 1970’s TV series Vega$ which was both set here and shot here. Season 2 has now been released on DVD (Netflix has it). If you are a regular visitor, this is worth watching just to see what The Strip and downtown looked like and how much has changed!
Stop In For A Grand Slam – If you are a Californian headed out of town, barely got out of your room in time, on the road, hung over, and hungry (that’s never happened in Vegas before)… The new Denny’s at Primm is offering a $3.99 Grand Slam (includes two buttermilk pancakes, two bacon strips, two eggs, and two sausage links) through the end of March 2011. Also something to keep in mind if you are taking the Primm Outlet Mall Shuttle to go hit the deals for a few hours. Primm’s hotel, resort, and the mall are all part of the same complex.
Bringing Your Baby To Las Vegas – Maybe it is just me, but over the past year I’ve noticed more and more pregnant women in Las Vegas. Not an inordinate number, but I’m seeing it. In particular, I’m seeing their significant other taking photos of them proudly displaying their baby bump next to oft-photographed locations around The Strip.
Actually, I can’t fault this idea. Once you have Junior, a trip to Vegas is probably going to be out of the question for a while. And with Las Vegas as a popular city to celebrate a 21’s birthday, a child can look at the photos for a look-back at their very “first” trip to Vegas!
One More Week – Victor Royer’s gaming column resumes in one more week. We have them in hand, but not yet prepped. Our bad.
Enjoy This Issue!
Associate Editor: Amy Rayner-Cooley
News Researcher/Editor: Rick Ziegler
B û BeatleShow Tribute:
Love Letter To The Music, Performers, and Legacy
There are few places (outside of the UK) that celebrate and have as much history with the Beatles as Las Vegas does. From some of the original hotels the Fab Four stayed in to lavish spectacles that celebrate their music, one may assume that ôBeatlemaniaö can be best covered by only one show. ThatÆs where fans of John, Paul, George and Ringo can learn that there is a lot of Beatles love to go around.
Disney’s The Lion King And Mandalay Bay Deliver New Deal 2 Good 2 Be True – 2/2 package includes 2 tickets to THE LION KING and 2-nights stay at Mandalay Bay for only $200! Disney’s THE LION KING and Mandalay Bay invite guests to enjoy the best new deal on The Strip now through February 28, 2011. The world’s No. 1 musical and Las Vegas’ premier four-star resort join forces to create this amazing 2/2 offer û 2 tickets to THE LION KING and 2-nights stay at Mandalay Bay for only $200.
- Full story/details/info: Disney’s The Lion King And Mandalay Bay Deliver New Deal
Hopping Into The Year Of The Rabbit, Colorful Dragons, Lions, Rabbits To Fill The Forum Shops At Caesars This February To Celebrate Chinese New Year – To celebrate Chinese New Year and welcome the year of the Rabbit, The Meadows School will perform the traditional dragon parade throughout The Forum Shops at Caesars. The cast of singers and dancers includes 120 Meadows students û 60 from kindergarten and 60 from fifth grade plus the school’s very special guests, founder Carolyn Goodman and her husband Mayor Oscar Goodman.
- Full story/details/info: The Forum Shops At Caesars To Celebrate Chinese New Year
Tickets For 10th Annual Michael Jordan Celebrity Invitational Golf Tournament At Shadow Creek In Las Vegas Now On Sale – Tournament Offers Public First-Time Access To Exclusive Golf Course – Tickets for the 10th Annual Michael Jordan Celebrity Invitational (MJCI), hosted by ARIA Resort & Casino at Shadow Creek, are now on sale. The premier celebrity golf event will make its Las Vegas debut March 31 û April 3, giving fans the opportunity to watch four days of competition with some of the biggest names in sports and entertainment. This also marks the first time that Shadow Creek û one of the country’s most celebrated golf courses û will open its doors to the public.
- Full story/details/info: Tickets For 10th Annual Michael Jordan Celebrity Invitational Golf Tournament At Shadow Creek In Las Vegas
Rita Rudner Welcomed To Her New Home At The Venetian In Fabulous Style – Rita Rudner was welcomed to her new home as the newest headliner at The Venetian in grandiose style today, complete with a red carpet arrival covered with pink rose petals. Wearing a red Valentino dress and pink and purple fur coat, Rita emerged from her limo to a delightful scene of singing gondoliers, Streetmosphere performers and cheering onlookers. Rita jumped on the bell cart with her bags in tow and was wheeled onto the red carpet and into the lobby for more surprises. Photo Credit: imagesofvegas.com/ISPhotography
- Full story/details/info: Rita Rudner Welcomed To Her New Home At The Venetian
- Buy Tickets Now: Rita Rudner Las Vegas Tickets
Simon At Palms Place Mixes And Mingles With The Ultimate Anti-Valentine’s Day Celebration: The Simon Singles Soiree – Forget the disenchanted dinners, phony cards, ugly roses and candyà For this Valentine’s Day, you don’t need Cupid to have a great time. Simon at Palms Place is throwing the ultimate unconventional Valentine’s Day party, its Singles Soiree. The Soiree is for the unattached to defy the holiday’s typical traditions by being social with great food, delicious drinks, and friendly activities such as combating a heart-shaped pi±ata. You never know who you will meet. . .Prizes will be given away throughout the event including gift cards to Sunset Tan, Drift Spa & Hammam and Palms Casino Resort.
- Full story/details/info: Simon At Palms Place Mixes And Mingles With The Ultimate Anti-Valentine’s Day Celebration: The Simon Singles Soiree
Celebrate Chinese New Year At Bellagio’s Conservatory & Botanical Gardens – Dramatic Display Welcomes Year Of The Rabbit Now Through March 5 – Bellagio’s Conservatory & Botanical Gardens invites guests to celebrate Chinese New Year û Year of the Rabbit, with a unique display replete with symbolic meaning and tradition. A serene sanctuary guided by the ancient practice of Feng Shui û the art of using surroundings to attract harmony, balance and positive life energy û is on display now through March 5. The majestic centerpiece of this exhibit is a 35-foot Chinese Junk Boat with a 38-foot mast inspired by traditional 15th century fishing vessels. Making its debut at the Conservatory, the boat was created using teak, mahogany and cedar by Daniels Wood Land, Inc. û which is best known for building full-scale replicas of The Black Pearl for Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie franchise.
- Full story/details/info: Celebrate Chinese New Year At Bellagio’s Conservatory & Botanical Gardens
The 2011 Miss America Pageant From Las Vegas Increases Ratings By 49% On ABC! – The Miss America Organization announced today that the 2011 Miss America Pageant, which aired from 9 to 11 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 15, drew ABC’s biggest non-sports audience in the time slot since April 2009 and easily placed second to Fox for the night. The announcement of the 90th Anniversary Miss America, Teresa Scanlan, a 17-year-old from Nebraska and one of the youngest winners in the history of Miss America, kept ratings growing through the night despite the gridiron competition of two NFL Divisional Playoff games.
- Full story/details/info: The 2011 Miss America Pageant From Las Vegas Increases Ratings By 49% On ABC!
The Venetian and The Palazzo Las Vegas Celebrate Chinese New Year 2011 -Festive decor and traditional dragon dance honors Year of the Rabbit – The Venetian and The Palazzo will ring in the Chinese New Year and the Year of the Rabbit with an authentic dragon dance with firecrackers and festive decorations featuring a 16-foot, 1,000-pound animated rabbit in the atrium gardens of The Shoppes at The Palazzo with handcrafted silk hanging lanterns and orange trees representing good luck and fortune.
- Full story/details/info: The Venetian and The Palazzo Las Vegas Celebrate Chinese New Year 2011 -Festive decor and traditional dragon dance honors Year of the Rabbit
Death Valley Explorer Tour by Tour Trekker Tour û Experience the beauty of the largest national park in the contiguous United States – Death Valley. Highlights include Mercury, former home of atomic weapons testing, and venture into the fascinating ghost town of Rhyolite, home to rustic ruins from the past as well as the Goldwell Open Air Museum.
What We’re Watching – Vegas Videos You’ll Enjoy
- A History of Las Vegas Showgirls – KLAS Channel 8 put together this interesting video history of the Las Vegas showgirl.
- Before They Were Pawn Stars – Take a look at the operations of the world famous Gold and Silver Pawn, better known to the world as TV’s Pawn Stars.
- Biggest Ever Superbowl Weekend For Las Vegas On Tap – Forget about Dallas (where the game is actually being played). See why being in Las Vegas on this holy grail of sports weekends takes the cake.
- Backstage Look At The Lion King Las Vegas – See how one Lion King actor transforms herself into her spectacular character and get a great sneak preview of this popular Las Vegas show! Click for Lion King Las Vegas Tickets.
Members Mania – We Love Our Readers!
- Las Vegas Trip Report: Wynn’s Le Cave, Panavino, Triumph (show), Zen Magic, More! – Susan from New Jersey highlights her favorite shows and dining spots from her recent visit.
- How Far Out To Book A Tour Or Show? – Colleen in Florida tried to book a tour for summer and found out it was not yet available yet. What to do?
- When Does Mayor Oscar Goodman’s Term End? – Popular question that we’ve been getting from numerous readers. Plus, Ted for Mayor or more?
- Happy To Hear Lady Luck Las Vegas Will Re-Open, Miss Old Slot Machines – Many looking forward to the re-opening of the Lady Luck. Plus we let you know where you can find some of the old slot machines you love!
We love to hear from you, and value your feedback! Here’s how to participate:
- Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org – We read them all!
- Call our recorded comment line at 702-507-0055. We listen to every call.
More Las Vegas News – Concerts – Events
- Personal connection missing from Cher’s costume parade
Book Cher Las Vegas Tickets Now
- USA Sevens will bring top-flight rugby to Sam Boyd Stadium in February
Book USA Sevens Rugby Las Vegas Tickets Now
- Las Vegas 51s Baseball Team Looking For New Owners
Book 51s Las Vegas Tickets Now
- Carrot Top- Quizzing the fiery redhead on his look, his style, and his long Las Vegas residency
Book Carrot Top Las Vegas Tickets Now
- Flexibility a factor in comedienne, Rita Rudner, move
Book Rita Rudner Las Vegas Tickets Now
- Sea Brings Thai Experience to Bally’s Vegas
Sea Las Vegas Reservations and Info
- Best golf holes in Las VegasFree Golf Lessons on Video
- Almost Iberia in suburbia – Barcelona Tapas & Bar favors taste over authenticity
Barcelona Restaurant Las Vegas Reservations and Info
- Wings of Death – The challenge, 20 wings in 20 minutes
Diablo’s Cantina Las Vegas Reservations and Info
- Your turn to drive the Las Vegas Motor Speedway
- First Ever Powder and Sun Throw down Chow down Event Held Sunday (with video)
- State leaders, lawmakers set to attend Marijuana Summit (with video)
- About 10 candidates expected to compete to be mayor of Las Vegas (with video)
- California-based company proposing sports arena on UNLV campus (with video)
- Las Vegas Jobless Rate Hits All-Time High – State Ranks Among Worst For Unemployment (with video)
- Hash House A Go Go Named AOL’s City’s Best 2010 Breakfast and Brunch
- Golden Nugget Enchants Guests With First Annual Masquerade Ball
- Nove Italiano Celebrates (Early) Valentine’s Day With Amore Mio Cooking Class On February 5th
- Eastside Cannery Casino and Hotel Features Valentine’s Day Dining Specials
- Valentine’s Day In Vegas – Spa Packages, Romantic Menus and Cocktails
- Rockhouse Rocks Spring Broke 2011 Party Harder, Spend Less!
- Southern Nevada Public Television 22nd Annual Wine and Beer Tasting
- Say Yes To Temptation With Delicious February Treatments At Canyon Ranch SpaClub
- Celebrate McFadden’s “Kill Cupid Anti-Valentine’s Day” Bash Saturday, February 12 – Forget The Day Of Love And Celebrate Anti-Valentine’s Day At McFadden’s
- Rhumbar To Host Basketball Tailgate Parties On The Patio In March
- Super Bowl, Bingo, And Cupid. . . Oh My And Kellie Pickler Will Be Stopping By
- In February, Boyd Gaming Offers Exciting Events, Entertainment And Dining For The Big Game, Chinese New Year And Valentine’s Weekend
- Former Ritz-Carlton Reopening As Ravella
- Cosmopolitan’s street food options replicate an urban environment more than any other part of it
- The Secret’s in the Sauce- Excellent pasta and pizza help make Bambini’s menu stellar
- Goodman was good for Las Vegas despite unfinished business
- Mt. Charleston log home offers peace and a spectacular view
- Medical tourism pushed as economic salve for Las Vegas
- Miss Nebraska captures Miss America crown
- Valley office market remains weak in quarter
- Michael Dezer is bringing Hot Rod City museum to Las Vegas. One of the world’s largest auto collections!
- Bellagio Gardens Highlight Chinese New Year
- Channel 8’s award-winning investigative reporter talks about the mob, UFOs and other big stories from AmericaÆs most corrupt city
- 2011 ACM Awards to include first Fan Jam party at Mandalay Bay
- Gaming Control Board insider moves to the outside
- Jim Fassell, manager and coach, Las Vegas Locomotives Football
- Megabucks hits for $12,769,933 at ARIA
- Nevada failing its children and families
- Las Vegas Oyster Bar with a cult-like following
- The Boneyard At Las Vegas
- World Series of Poker announces schedule for 2011
- Friendships not just for show in ‘Holly’s World’
- UNLV stadium site revealed
- Fine-dining trend isn’t dead, just evolving
- Hundreds seek jobs at Station Casinos
- LV struggles likely to persist
- New pro poker league makes Las Vegas home
- Furniture mart boss hopeful
- Analyst says Las Vegas home prices still have room to fall
- Local author’s mob tale puts a new spin on a line of credit
- Haze continuing human aquarium, special events that made 2010 a success
- Gilley’s draws patrons with line dancing, karaoke, live music
- Waiting to rebound – Vacancy signs tell the tale of the area’s economic recovery
- Terry Fator entertains Fort Hood troops ahead of their deployment
- The PBR One Day Last Cowboy Standing